If you're a fan of Yoo Ah-in's #Alive or Park Ji-hu's All Of Us Are Dead, then you'll probably want to tune in to Netflix's newest Korean zombie project, Zombieverse. However, the catch is that rather than a bonafide zombie film, Zombieverse is a reality tv series that puts several Korean celebrities in contests reminiscent of familiar zombie film troupes.
Zombieverse premiered on Netflix on August 8, 2023. Set in Seoul, South Korea, the show follows a group of celebrities as they try to survive a make-believe zombie apocalypse. The contestants are given Survivor-esque tasks to complete in order to earn supplies, but if they are bitten by a zombie, they must be left behind. The last contestant standing wins the competition.
The show is produced by Kakoa Entertainment and is hosted by Lee Si-young. The contestants include:
- Noh Hong-chul - a standup comedian and co-host of the variety show Talents for Sale
- Park Na-rae - a comedian and actress with a supporting role in What's Wrong with Secretary Kim
- Fukutomi Tsuki - a member of the Kpop group Billlie
- Jonathan and Patricia Yiombi - sibling Congolese immigrants with a famous YouTube channel
- Yoo Hee-kwan - a baseball player for the Doosan Bears
- Dex - a famous South Korean reality tv contestant who previously appeared on Single's Inferno
- Lee Si-young - an actress who previously starred in Sweet Home
Zombieverse has been compared to other reality competition shows like Squid Game and The Circle, but with a zombie twist. The show has been praised for its suspenseful gameplay and its diverse cast of characters.